Thursday, June 18, 2020

Return to sender

After reporting on my beloved small packet shipping earlier this week (after mailing another package to the US), I had a package returned!  

After returning home from my son's ballet class, I was busy cooking dinner.  The doorbell rang.  Using the intercom camera, I was excited to see the postman had a package for me.  I hadn't ordered anything, so it was very exciting.  When I answered the door, he handed me a large envelope with a package inside.  

I was a bit confused because the envelope has a Japanese return address.  Who would be sending me something from Japan?  I ripped the envelope open and found the package I had mailed on Monday.  There were also three sheets of paper - a form letter, a form, and a sample form indicating what I need to complete on the form.


The letter explained that due to Covid-19, flights between countries have significantly reduced, resulting in a lack of transportation to send things via air.  If I want, I can resend the package using surface shipping (aka by boat), but it can take up to four months to reach its destination!  F-O-U-R months!!!

The form is to get a refund.  Well, a refund of sorts.  I can opt to have the money deposited into my bank account or I can get the equivalent amount in stamps.  They are not offering a cash refund, even though that is how I paid.

While I might normally shrug my shoulders, I am pretty sad about this news.  The package contained a very special gift for a very special little girl and I'm sad that she won't receive her present.

The feeling of being trapped is getting more and more intense.  Now I can't even send packages in a timely manner to my loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...