Sunday, November 3, 2019

Look into the sky

I've been to more than a handful of air shows in my lifetime.  So when a friend invited me to the Iruma Air Show, I decided to accept and see if it was similar or different.

Taking place on the Iruma Air Base, we headed over via train.  My friend forewarned me that it would be crowded.  I'm so glad she did, because it was very crowded.  Of course, every air show that I've ever been to has been.


We walked around a bit until we found a small area to put our mats.  The kids quickly dived into fold origami, which left us stumped because there were airplanes flying past and they were sitting there folding paper.  Periodically, they would pop up and demand to be picked up so they could see the planes over the masses of heads in front of us.


It was pretty typical for an air show.  Plane flies past and everyone gets excited and snaps photos.  Then the sky is clear and everyone relaxes and goes back to whatever they were doing.


Beyond the origami, we brought Uno, Memory, and a deck of cards for the kids to keep them occupied during the many breaks in the program.

The highlight of the show was the Blue Impulse performance.  Blue Impulse is the Japanese version of the Blue Angels, an aerobatic demonstration team of the Japan Air Self-Defense Force.  Unfortunately, the team had to do a short program due to the cloud cover.  Nevertheless, it was exciting to see them pass by in various formations.


It was an enjoyable way to spend the day - hanging out with a friend and watching interesting aircrafts fly around above our heads.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...