Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Meeting the big man

Today was parent teacher meetings.  I would call them conferences, but they were 15 minutes long.  So, it was more of a quick meet and greet with a few details about our child.

Our son has reported daily that he adores his sensei.  The teacher has made a great impression on him.  It is so nice to see his eagerness to go to school everyday, in part because he as a very enthusiastic teacher.

Luckily we have a friend that was able to watch our son for the few minutes of the meeting.  It was a fair trade, since we watched her sons while she met with the teacher during her time slot.  I am so lucky to have friends that can watch my son when we need it.  I often think of the people who have just arrived in a new town or country and don't have the contacts.  I'm so grateful to her, since she has also agreed to be our emergency contact - a much needed thing when family is an ocean away.

The meeting was a bit peculiar since the teacher had us sitting in kids desks placed more than 6 feet (2 meters) apart, plus we were all wearing masks.  He gave us a few facts about our son and the school environment.  We asked a few questions about the school year and expectations (there will never be more than 1 hours worth of homework while he is in first grade, gradually increasing from the 5-10 minutes that he's doing right now).

It was quick and painless.  I am looking forward to learning more about my son's schooling, as I'm sure it is quite different than the US.  But a more in depth conversation will have to take place at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...