Thursday, June 11, 2020

Much more than essence

When I could not find vanilla extract in regular stores and import stores, I knew I was going to have to make it myself.  Luckily, it is super easy.

My sweet husband ordered some vanilla beans online for me.  As soon as they were delivered, I cut open one and a half of them and added them to my old bottle of vanilla, which holds 120cc (4 oz) of liquid.  The required liquid is vodka - 80 proof is best.  Let it sit in the back of the cabinet for at least 2 months.


This, once again, is another example of how a little bit of ingenuity and a tiny bit of work can take my needs and change them into haves.



*******************
Vanilla Extract
1.5 vanilla beans
120 cc/4 oz 80 proof vodka

Cut open the beans (splitting down longwise) and insert into the bottle.  Pour vodka into bottle.  Keep in cool, dark place for 2+ months.  Shake periodically.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...