Thursday, March 22, 2018

I'm back

Ahhh...  America.  I missed you so much.  It was so wonderful to walk on your land.  I felt elbow room I haven't felt in 6 months.  I shopped until my suitcases were full and I dined on foods that are hard to find in Japan.  Mexican, Greek, and BBQ were at the top of my list.  The restaurants did not disappoint.

The shopping didn't disappoint either.  I had been making a list for months of things I wanted to purchase in the US based on things that I wish I had at periodic times throughout my time here have determined that I need.  The list was long, but it was fun to gather all the things on it.  Of course, I found lots of extra items too!


I had to grab essentials like peanut butter, Aleve (pain reliever), and face lotion.  There were things that just make me happy like Penzey's spices, popcorn, and salsa.  Tough to find items included shoes for myself, organic chicken bullion, and books for my son.  I brought back a large assortment of chocolate including chocolate chips, Theo's dark peanut butter cups, and Alter Ego's dark salted burnt caramel bars. 


There were two items that took up a lot of room in my suitcase - an Instant Pot (a gift I was bringing back with me) and cheese.  On my last day in the US, I stopped by Costco to grab a whole bunch of this very expensive culinary delight.  I hardly ever have cheese in Japan because the real stuff (made from milk, not oil) because of the price.  So, after a bit of research, I learned that it is not only legal, but very easy to bring cheese to Japan.  8 and a half pounds should last me for a while.


Of all the things I brought back with me, the best thing was love.  I was able to spend time with lots of loved ones that I had not seen in person for 6 months.  Being so far away from them is really hard.  I have missed my loved ones so much.  A phone just doesn't do the same as an in person hug. 

As I cope with the jet lag, I will relish in the time I was able to spend with people that I love and value.  Now I am heading to bed because I am seriously tired.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm curious about the shoes. Hard to find your size? What you like? Do tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shoes are Hoka One One brand. I wear a size 8 or 8.5 (25 in Japan). Most stores only carry up to a 24.5 in women's shoes. I don't function very well with squished feet!

      I like comfortable shoes - especially sandals and shoes that feel like a tennis shoe but doesn't look like them. He Hoka's are for walking long distances, which I tend to do a lot of here!

      Delete

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...