Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Traditional sweets

Trying traditional sweets in any culture other than your own takes a bit of bravery.  Even if someone explains all the delicacies to you, it is still a plate of unknown entering your mouth.  There really isn't a frame of reference to tell you exactly what to expect.

Japanese sweets tend to be filled with anko - a sweet red bean paste.  When I first tried anko I hated it.  The sweetness wasn't sweet enough to mask the fact that I was eating beans for dessert.  And the firm, but smooth texture wasn't my cup of tea.  At every meeting I attended, I would be handed a cup of scalding hot, bitter tea and a little traditional sweet filled with anko.  I would politely shove the dense "treat" down my throat and wait for the tea to cool a bit before burning myself.  But over time, the anko began to grown on me.  I now enjoy anko and the many sweets it comes in.

I now go looking for traditional sweets.  I like supporting small shops that have been creating the same delicacies for years.  While reading a magazine about Nerima based businesses, my husband discovered a local traditional sweet shop not far from our home.  He sent me a list of seasonal sweets he wanted me to pick up.  I headed over on my bike and found a nice shop with an older lady at the counter.  She greeted me enthusiastically and happily helped me pick out some treats to take home.


***As a side note, the banner hung in front of the door indicates the shop it open.  Many restaurants still display these banners.***

I'll do my best to describe these traditional treats.  Keep in mind that sometimes the wonderfulness can be lost in translation and they are best judged after consumption.  And sometimes you just have to keep trying them until you've been worn down and they start tasting delicious.


Upper left: a very firm gelatinous triangle that reminds me of a cross between Jello Jigglers and Applets and Cotlets.  There are walnuts in them, which really emphasizes the Applets and Cotlets comparison.

Lower left: Kashiwa mochi (my husband would like me to emphasize this traditional sweet should be enjoyed on May 5 as part of Children's Day holiday).  A soft dough made from pounded rice wrapped around a ball of anko and then covered in an oak leaf. 

Upper right: Shio daifuku.  A salty mochi (barely salty) filled with chunky anko and a bit of matcha paste.

Middle right: Ichigo daifuku.  Light pink colored mochi filled with anko and a strawberry pressed into the top.  Sometimes ichigo daifuku has the strawberry inside instead of on top.

Lower right: Manju.  A steamed confection with anko in the middle.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm--what do Japanese people think of American sweets? And by that, I do NOT mean horrible corn syrup things, like sour patch, or swedish fish (ok, I kinda like those), or Hersheys. Does salted caramel exist in Japan?

    I do like the sweet wrapped in the oak leaf--that's really neat to me.

    "Gelatinous", however, wins no favors.

    ReplyDelete

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...