Thursday, March 19, 2020

Sticking close to home

The feeling of being trapped is a very real feeling these days.  Luckily, I could put those feelings aside by having a plan.  With my son home full-time, I made a schedule for us to stick to.  First thing on the list was getting up at 7 am.  This is so easy for my son.  He has always been a morning person.  I used to be one, until I had a kid!

Although my body wanted to stay in bed, my mind did not.  Our son had come into our room at 6:30 and announced he had an idea that he just had to get onto paper.  After a little encouragement, he headed downstairs to draw.  At seven, I was eager to head down and see what he had wanted to draw.

After watching a great doodling with Mo Willems video on YouTube, he has been obsessed with drawing.  He had drawn a bat in a cave with crystals on top.  It was really good!  I thought it was totally worth getting up for.

We had a quick breakfast and got dressed.  We wanted to be out the door by 7:45.  With a few seconds to spare, we made it out right on schedule.  He and I headed to the park to stroll amongst the trees.  There were hardly any people in the park.  We found ourselves wandering along the path in a wooded area that was really invigorating.


Looking at blooming flowers and breathing fresh air was the perfect way to start the day.


We had a great day.  By following the schedule, there was always something to do and lots to look forward to.  And several times, I found myself appreciating the fact that we were staying close to home this school break.  Getting the chance to stop and smell the roses is great.  My son was super happy with everything we did today - finding bugs in our courtyard, doing yoga, and drawing, as well as talking with his best friend on FaceTime.


The funny thing is, I didn't feel trapped at all today.  I felt relaxed and enjoyed the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...