Wednesday, March 18, 2020

A ceremony for the littles

I keep telling my son to stop growing so fast and stay little forever.  He assures me that he'll still love me "even when he's an adult."  I want to get this in writing...

All joking aside, my son graduated from kindergarten today.  Goodness me!  Time flies.

He attended a 2-year kindergarten program (unlike the typical 3-year program in Japan).  It was a play based school, filled with learning by doing.  It was a great fit for him.

Today's ceremony was really dialed back due to Covid-19.  The two classes had separate ceremonies and seats were only provided for 1 parent (although most families had both parents and siblings attend, the other family members just stood in the back of the room).  The parents all wore masks, and everyone had to report their temperature before entering the gymnasium.

The school tried to make it as formal as they could, but still reducing the time we were all in the gym together.  Songs were sung by both the kids and parents, as well as one by the younger class (they filed in, sang their song, and filed right back out).  A few speeches were made by the vice-principal, principal, and the kid's teacher.  The highlight of the ceremony was when each kid was called up to the front to accept their diploma.  My son has informed me that it is in fact a "ticket to get into elementary school."


The whole ceremony flew by.  As we exited, the class that sang to the kids lined up outside along with their parents to applaud us as we walked off the school grounds for the last time.

It was a very nice little ceremony that meant a lot for my son.  He enjoyed this special day.  From singing with his classmates one last time to accepting his special "ticket", it was something for him to remember as a special event for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...