Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Connection is key

So many times in my life, I have wished for... more time.  More time with loved ones.  More time to learn something.  More time to get stuff done.

As people all over the world are self-isolating and quarantining, I have a message for you - NOW is YOUR chance!  What do you want more time for?

I am always wanting more time with loved ones.  So, while my son isn't in school for the next couple weeks (due to spring vacation, not because schools were closed since his never shut their doors), I am looking forward to spending more time with him.  We have drafted a schedule to keep us motivated and to make sure we don't go into a downward spiral of television zombification.


One item we made sure to include was time for phone calls.  We are going to be making sure to connect with loved ones.  Of course, there are limits for how long a 6 year old can last on a phone.  So, we will also be pulling out our letter writing supplies to surprise people with bonified, sent in via the postal service, letters!

I often get caught up in the day to day chores of life and overwhelmed schedule of being a mom.  So, my son and I will focus on learning new things.  In just 30 minute increments, we will be taking time to seek out knowledge.

Since my son only had a half day of school today, we were able to use part of the schedule and my son was super excited to read in Japanese with mommy (which was great practice for both of us) and do a science experiment with seeds.  He also happily did some yoga during a "free time" break (using the YouTube channel Cosmic Kids Yoga) and played in the courtyard while I cooked dinner.  He really appreciated the schedule and I appreciated having the guide.

In the schedule, I also included cleaning/laundry time, because when my house is in chaos, I feel like I am out of control.  Having a little bit of time set aside to get stuff done is crucial to my mental health.

While we stick close to home during this confinement, I will challenge myself to constantly look at the positive.  What things do I want to focus on?  What will I look back at with fond memories?  Will I be proud of us growing together and making it through this very trying time as a team?  Only time will tell.


********************
Some may wonder where my husband fits into all this.  He will be working upstairs in our bedroom, getting his job done.  Luckily, he can join here and there as his schedule allows.  But, he is here, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...