Saturday, June 27, 2020

Haircuts in the garden

I'm not ready to send my boys to the barber.  It is a place that was deemed essential by the Japanese government during our Covid closure, and they remained open for business.  While the guys like going to the barber, I have been hesitant to let them go.  But it was LONG over due!  Since I am not able to make sure they are taking all the proper precautions, I decided to bite the bullet and cut my boys hair myself.  

This is pretty scary for me because I don't want to mess it up!  And people go to school for a very long time to cut hair professionally.  It isn't something I would normally do.  

I went to the store today and bought an electric razor.  I suddenly had flashbacks to my mom lining all four of us kids up and cutting away.  I sported a bowl cut for many, many years (as did many kids in the 80's).

I prepped myself by reading the instructions very closely and reminding myself that if worse came to worse, I could send him to the barber tomorrow.  

I went slowly.  I was more grumpy than I should have been ("Hold your head this way!"  "Stop moving!!!").  I even nicked my son's ear.  But I just kept plugging away.



Soon both boys were done.  I threw lots of tufts of hair into the garden containers to use those nutrients.  And I sent the boys to shower off all that hair that stuck to their shoulders, neck and face.  

When they came back for a final check, I was impressed with my work.  I didn't do a horrible job!  I'll never be as awesome as a barber or my lovely hairdresser back in the US, but at least I didn't do damage.


Hopefully when they need another cut I can send them back to the barber to get a GOOD cut!  Until then, at least I know I can help them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...