Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Getting cleaned up

I refuse to get my hair cut in Japan.  Last time I lived here, I felt like people were constantly touching my hair.  I would feel hands on the train stroking it (turning to find hands still in the air several times).  I would have students ask me if they could touch it.  It was just a source of fascination and it left me feeling weird.  I don't even have fabulous hair.  It is fine, thin, and pretty lackluster.  But it is a mousey brown/blonde that isn't found here naturally very often.  So the uniqueness really was the attraction.  No matter the reason, it made me hate being touched by strangers.  It felt like such an invasion of personal space, which usually Japan is known for.

I have a lady in the US that I've been going to for over 10 years that I love dearly.  I happily hopped into her chair in April when we went for a visit and will do so again next time we go to the states.  She is well worth the wait.

My boys, however, cannot wait 6+ months between haircuts.  My husband found a barber not too far from our house.  For the most part, going to get your hair cut in Japan is very similar to the experience in the US.  However, there are a couple differences.  Men don't just get a haircut.  They also get a shoulder and head massage, hot towels on their face for a quick facial, as well as a shave.

I've heard of men getting straight razor shaves in the US, but I've never seen it as an automatic additional service with no additional changes.  I went with my husband and son on this trip to the barber and was entranced with the straight razor.  They shaved my husband's entire face, including forehead, eye lids (just below the eyebrows), ears, the whole nine yards.  I've never seen anything like it.


It's one of those things that isn't really different, just enough to raise your eyebrows and say "well that's different."

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...