Friday, June 26, 2020

Until we meet again

Saying goodbye to friends is part of life as an expat. Non-native people tend to make friends within the international community. There is a common bond between those who immigrate and choose to live long-term in foreign countries - an understanding of the chaos, bliss, and frustrations of living in a new place. Over time, it is inevitable that some of these friends will stay and others will go.

I am in the process of saying goodbye to a dear friend who is moving back to New Zealand.  She came crashing into my life a year and a half ago (I dropped something off my bike and she helped me), and has been a wonderful friend ever since.  She has been my coffee date, therapist, cheerleader, and so much more.  I've loved sharing new places and hidden gems with her.  Our family sushi dates have always left me feeling refreshed and reinvigorated.

As she boards her plane (the first going into New Zealand in a long time), a piece of my heart is going with her.  She's an amazing human and I will miss her greatly.

Luckily these days it is easier to keep connected with people, but it still doesn't make the miles any easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...