Thursday, April 23, 2020

Bringing back a classic

Growing up, I watched my fair share of Mister Roger's Neighborhood.  Since that time, I have held a special place in my heart for the cast and creators of that show.

When my son was little, he loved watching Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood - a spin off of Mister Roger's Neighborhood's Land of Make Believe character Daniel Tiger.  He was so obsessed, we took him to meet the character when we lived in Seattle.

As he grew older, we transitioned from Daniel Tiger to Mister Roger's Neighborhood.  We brought a collection of his shows with us to Japan.  It is a good thing we did, because they do not have Mister Rogers in Japan.

As much as that saddens me, my son doesn't really realize that his friends don't know who this gentle man is.  Since we have been isolated, he has asked to watch Mister Rogers several times, explaining "he makes me happy."

Today, my husband and son worked together to recreate the Land of Make Believe in Legos.  It was a fun project for them.


They just used their imaginations and went to town.  Well, they built the town anyway.

It saddens me that the era of Mister Roger's is over.  We need him now more than ever.  If only there was a social isolation episode I could refer back to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...