Thursday, January 23, 2020

If you don't find it, make it

There are a lot of things I miss about the US - especially food!  Some of the things I miss, I've been able to find.  For example, when I was pinning for rhubarb, my favorite vegetable shop owner was able to find some for me.  When I thought I was never going to see Greek food again, my husband found an amazing restaurant for us to enjoy.

Sometimes, I just go without.  I stock up when I go to the US.  My best friend makes me green enchiladas with the most mouthwatering sauce made with tomatillos and poblanos.  I buy copious quantities of snacks and spices that I have never found here.

Whenever I can, I pull up my bootstraps and just make it myself.  I've brought several jars of peanut butter, but have not branched out to other nut butters.  We used to buy all different varieties.  Cashew, sunflower seed, hazelnut, and almond would grace our shelves.  We loved to use the grinders at the natural food stores to get the freshest possible nut butters.  Oh, it was so delicious!

Even though we thoroughly enjoy our peanut butter, I needed some variety.  Since the only choices in Japan are sugar-ladened products that have more sugar than nuts, I decided to just make it myself.

On a recent trip to Costco with a friend, I grabbed a bag of raw almonds.  The recipe is pure and simple - roast 4 cups of almonds in the oven at 190°C/350°F for 10 minutes, let cool, and then blend until it reaches the desired consistency.


When I was explaining the process to my friend, she asked when would I add the sugar.  To her, it seemed strange that I wouldn't sweeten it.  But to me, a purist, I don't want anything in my nut butters other than nuts.

It may not seem like much when you can just go to the store and pick up a jar.  But when that store is an ocean away, it is worth the extra effort.  And, frankly, it tasted so good, I might just always make my own from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...