Thursday, November 14, 2019

Under pressure

A while back my best friend decided to gift me a pressure cooker.  I was a bit nervous to join the Instant Pot craze, but she did a lot of research to make sure I could use the machine in Japan.  I do have to use a small converter, as there are not three prong outlets in Japan.  But the electrical difference (110 or 120 volts in the US versus 100 volts in Japan) would not hurt the Instant Pot.

At first I used it very cautiously, in part because it was such a different cooking methodology than I was used to.  Before I knew it, I was using it quite often for a variety of cooking tasks.  I boiled peanuts in it.  I cook large batches of Japanese curry.  I have made tons of bean and vegetable soup (my son's favorite soup).  Over time, it has become a beloved member of my kitchen family.  I now see why people rave about them and am super grateful to have one of my very own.

Recently our neighbor's family gifted them with a large box of fuyu persimmons (the short fat ones you typically eat raw, like an apple).  While the wife was thrilled, the husband was not so excited.  He isn't really a fan of persimmons.  So, she asked if we would like to help devour them.  As huge fans of persimmons, we eagerly accepted the gift.  She sent us home with a large bag of the delicious orange fruit.

We ate several of them.  Before we could finish them we found ourselves the recipient of some more persimmons from another friend.  What is a girl to do with so many persimmons?  We couldn't eat them all before they went bad!

I was going to make jam like I did last year, but then a third friend mentioned she makes persimmon butter.  Oh, how I love fruit butters!  I changed my mind immediately.  After doing a bit of online research, I decided to combine a couple recipes and make the persimmon butter in my Instant Pot.  My son, eager to help with practically anything in the kitchen, did not need convincing to lend a hand.

We gathered our ingredients: persimmons, a lemon, honey, vanilla, a splash of water, and a pinch of salt.  The persimmons were either getting soft or were already quite squishy.  I peeled them and my son cut them up, looking for seeds.  He loved to squish the really soft ones with his hands.  Any reason to get a bit "dirty"!


After washing his hands to be rid of the persimmon residue, he then juiced the lemon.


We tossed everything in the Instant Pot and put it on to pressure cook for 45 minutes.  As soon as it beeped, I released the pressure.  I used a potato masher to break up the fruit and set the Instant Pot on high heat slow cook for 1.5 hours.   Typically I would have used an immersion blender, but I don't have mine here.  Kitchen space is at a minimum, so I really have to pick and choose my appliances.  Instant Pot and potato masher in, immersion blender out.


Once it was no longer steaming hot, I put it into my food processor.  (Food processor is also essential equipment in my kitchen!)


Just like that, it was done.  That was by far the easiest fruit butter I've ever made!  And the flavor... autumn in a jar!  It was simply divine.  I think it is really key to have overripe fruit, as it brings out the natural sugars and has a stronger flavor when cooked.

We will be enjoying this treat on toast, crackers, or by the spoonful.  No matter how we do it, we shall be savoring each and every bite.

*****************************

Persimmon Butter

8-10 fuyu persimmons
1/2 large lemon or 1 small lemon, juiced
1-2 spoonful honey
Splash vanilla
1/4 cup water
Pinch of salt
Optional: a cinnamon stick or 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

  1. Peel the persimmons and remove all seeds.  Chop into large chunks.  Put in pressure cooker pot.
  2. Juice the lemon and add to the pot.
  3. Add honey (to taste), vanilla, and water.
  4. Lock the  lid and make sure the steam valve is closed.  Set pressure cooker to manual for 45 minutes on high pressure.
  5. When the timer beeps, release the pressure.  Crush the fruit using an immersion blender or potato masher.  Add the spices if you are using them.  
  6. Set the pressure cooker to the slow cooker function on high heat for 1.5 hours.  Set the lid on the pot, but leave a place for steam to escape.  Stir occasionally.
  7. When the timer beeps, remove the cinnamon stick (if using) and add salt.
  8. Taste the persimmon butter.  Add additional honey, vanilla, spices, or salt as needed.
  9. Place in airtight jars and refrigerate or freeze.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...