Friday, November 15, 2019

Sing out loud

Earlier this year I was invited to join a choir.  I am not much of a singer, but the group was not looking for perfection.  They are a group of moms connected to the kindergarten that perform for the kids a couple of times a year.

I accepted the invite, but several things got in my way.  I never made it to a practice.  It wasn't on purpose, I was just busy, sick, and so forth at the time.

Last week, the moms approached me again.  They wanted to perform "When You Wish Upon a Star" for the kids.  I didn't have anything in my schedule, so I agreed to go.


It was exactly what a person would expect when attending a small choir rehearsal.  15 or so moms coming together to sing a couple songs and practice.  It felt nice to sing together.  Combining our voices in a lovely melody.

As I sang, I thought of my grandmother.  She sang for many, many years in her church choir.  It was a form of community for her.  I felt it today, too.  These moms, many of whom I have never had a conversation with, were all working together to do something nice for our kids.  It was a really nice way to spend the morning.

Now I must work on learning the Japanese version of "Winter Wonderland", as we will be singing that one too.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...