Monday, November 6, 2017

Cooking Japanese Food

When I lived in Japan 15 years ago, I didn't cook very much Japanese food.  I didn't know what people ate at home and I wasn't about to attempt to cook restaurant food.  I would watch cooking shows on television from time to time, but my Japanese was never good enough to be able to recreate anything I watched.  And at that time, I didn't have any Japanese cookbooks in English. 

Once I returned to the states and had access to the required cookbooks, I was married.  My husband is a fantastic cook.  Whenever people would ask us for Japanese restaurant recommendations, we'd always say "our house!"  And we weren't even joking.  He's not a chef by any means, but he makes wonderful, tasty Japanese food.  He's very picky about his food too.  So, I've never really been inclined to cook anything Japanese.  My comfort zone is more Greek, American, and Italian, with a couple Mexican dishes sprinkled in there. 

When we first got married, I wasn't even "allowed" to cook rice.  Allowed isn't quite the right word.  He just always did it.  I didn't even bother attempting to cook it.  Rice is a very precious thing for Japanese people.  I don't even pretend to understand their passion for it.  But the high standards for rice deterred me from even bothering to try to make it for a very long time. 

As I write this, it makes it sound like I don't know my way around the kitchen.  I do.  I'm actually a very good cook.  I think my husband is better, but that because he doesn't overthink things like I do.  He is more secure in his culinary decisions than I am.  I'm always thinking, how can I improve this?  I enjoy cooking a variety of foods.  I also like baking and canning.  But mostly, I like feeding my family and friends.  I like to provide yummy food that we sit around the table together and enjoy along with each other's company.

But now we live in Japan.  Cooking western food is quite expensive.  I once made an 8"x8" pan of macaroni and cheese from scratch that cost over $100!  Real cheese (made from milk) is VERY expensive.  Noodles can also be expensive, especially shapes that aren't spaghetti or linguini.  Finding western ingredients can be a huge hassle and annoying as you have to go to multiple stores to find everything you need. 

I brought every Japanese cookbook we owned - both Japanese and English books.  I've watched my husband for years.  Now it is my turn.  Deep breath.

The first meal I attempted was Japanese curry.  I picked it based on walking into the store and as I walked toward the produce section, the ingredients were lined up.  Onions, carrots, potatoes, kabocha (Japanese pumpkin)...  There were a couple veggies I added because I thought they would be tasty - eggplant and mushrooms.  I grabbed a box of curry roux and some pork, too.  To make curry, you basically brown your meat and veggies then add water and the roux.  Then you let it simmer for a long time.  I also cooked rice in the rice cooker.  In all honesty, I called my husband and had him walk me through it.  I might mess up the curry, but I couldn't ruin the rice!  That would be too much.  But neither were ruined.  They were both pretty fantastic.  My husband and son were very complimentary and I was happy, too. 


Next I tried chicken meatballs and mixed rice.  I wasn't as impressed.  The meatballs are mixed in the food processor, shaped and broiled.  Then they are broiled with a yakitori sauce.  I made the mixed rice in the rice cooker with carrots, gobo (burdock root), chicken breast, mitsuba (a flavorful green), and mushrooms.  I also served miso glazed eggplant and another type of chicken meatball.  Everything was fine, but just not stellar.  Also, everything on the plate was brown, so it looked super boring!


Tonight I made ginger pork, simmered kabocha, steamed broccoli with a sesame dressing, and white rice.  All of the recipes were super simple  Dinner turned out delicious.  Another big hit.


As I continue to make Japanese food, my confidence will grow.  After all, the first time I made moussaka by myself it needed finessing!  The key to becoming a good cook has always been the same ingredients: time in the kitchen, wanting to improve, and practice, practice, practice (and tasting your food as you cook it!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...