Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Happy Birthday

A while back, I celebrated another trip around the sun.  In the states, I would have been treated to dinner and possibly received gifts from my loved ones.  My friends would call me and some years we'd get together and other years not.  I've had a couple birthday parties in my day, but I've never thought of my birthday as MY DAY!!!  I always appreciate when people remember and take the time to reach out and tell me that they care.

No matter how you decide to celebrate, having a birthday with an ocean between you and your loved ones is often hard.  There won't be a party or special dinner.  It often feels, well, sad and lonely in a way.  I got a couple phone calls and a handful of texts.  There were several Facebook greetings, as well.  My best friend Skyped with me for over an hour.  In all honesty, I didn't receive a single card.  I kept thinking something would come, but alas, I was wrong.  In today's society, people just don't take the time to send mail - especially internationally.

I wasn't expecting my husband to do anything for my birthday.  It was during an exceptionally crazy time and we were both pretty overwhelmed.  Plus, my husband isn't a fan of birthdays whatsoever.  But, he helped me celebrate my birthday in a traditional Japanese way.  We had spent the morning shopping and were taking a break.  He had to run back to the house to meet someone, but I was still hanging out with our son enjoying the day.  After a bit, I received a text telling me to go to "Gunn's Cozy Corner" and pick up our order.  So, I went to the basement of the department store and went to a shop.  I asked where to find Gunn's Cozy Corner.  They pointed in a direction and I guessed which store could be Gunn's.  I walked up to the sales clerk and asked to pick up something.  He looked at me so confused.  I tried again.  Still confused.  I texted my husband.  He doesn't have anything for me.  And I get a response "Stupid auto correct.  It should say Ginza Cozy Corner!"  So I look at the man and say "Ginza Cozy Corner?"  He smiles and points me in the right direction.  That's when I see a big sign that says "Ginza Cozy Corner" over a very delicious looking bakery case.  Oh, yes!  He had ordered me a cake!  After showing it to me, they boxed it up and I happily carried it home.  We promptly ate it, after my husband and son sang a nice rendition of Happy Birthday to me.

My husband and I love the traditional Japanese birthday cake.  We've tried to replicate it in the states for years, but it's never been "just right."  The traditional cake is a genoise sponge cake with whipped cream frosting and glazed fresh fruit.  It is simple, light, and just the perfect level of sweetness. 


Birthdays in Japan tend to be lowkey affairs.  Pretty much everyone gets "the cake" (or a cake of their choosing).  Family often either make a favorite meal for the birthday person or take them out to dinner.  Sushi is a popular choice, but my husband always wanted his mom to make fried chicken (known as karage) and Japanese potato salad (with deli slices of ham, cucumbers, and apple in it - no joke).  To each their own.  Sometimes they give a gift as well - usually from parents to their children.  But there aren't birthday parties or huge celebrations. 

My husband used to take me on a trip every year for my birthday.  We've been to lots of fun places and our trips have always been special.  And I guess, technically, he did this year too.  It's just a really, really long trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...