Tuesday, October 8, 2019

It's all Greek to me

Sometimes my husband does the sweetest thing for me.  He isn't typically romantic or anything, so it is extra special when he does something super thoughtful.

On Sunday my husband was leading our son and me around a new neighborhood.  There is an endless supply of those around here.  I didn't know where we were going, but I just followed him like a little duckling.  Just about the time I was done with following, he announced we had arrived.

My biggest complaint about Tokyo is the lack of Greek food.  My husband searched high and low and found probably the only Greek restaurant in the city. 

We walked up the narrow stairs to the third floor to Spyro's Greek Restaurant.  With each step my stomach growled louder.  Not only was I hungry, the thought of Greek food was extremely exciting. 


The inside of the restaurant is decked out in classic white wash walls and bright blue accents.  My husband had made reservations, so they were expecting us.  Soon the courses were coming - salad, halloumi cheese, fried fish, souvlaki with pita, and moussaka!


Everything was absolutely divine.  The salty cheese.  The familiar herbs.  The layers of meat, eggplant, and potatoes.  It was over the top delicious.

I also had a glass of ouzo, the traditional Greek alcohol.  My husband was not impressed with the licorice liquor, but it gave me happy memories of sitting on a rooftop restaurant in Athens. 


We decided the course menu would be too much for our son, so we ordered him a spinach pilaf.  He dove right in, but so did we.  It was filled with veggies.  The dish didn't last long as we gobbled it all up.


When dinner was over, we didn't want the unique tastes of Greece to end.  We ended up ordering cheesecake and baklava for dessert.  While the cheesecake was just okay (who says that about cheesecake???), the baklava was perfect. 


I kept tearing up throughout the meal.  I adore Greek food and miss it terribly.  I only get to enjoy it two times a year when we visit the US.  I couldn't believe that he had found this special gem for me.  Now I know if I am really, really craving Greek food, I have a place to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...