Sunday, December 22, 2019

Gliding gracefully

I woke up with a sore throat.  I've had one for several days now.  It is nothing alarming, just annoying.  When my husband suggested we go out, I kindly passed.  I didn't want to push it and make things worse.  Instead, I wanted to just relax and try to get better.

So, the boys headed out.  They really wanted to go check out Toshimaen's temporary ice skating rink.  When the day was over, they came home with a positive report - not just of the facilities, but also of my son's quick learning.  For never having skated before, he really adapted quickly and got around the ice.  The rink was big and wasn't too crowded, which is impressive on a Sunday afternoon.


Instead of going with the boys, I stayed home.  I finished up addressing my New Years cards while watching cheesy Christmas themed movies.  I also made another batch of persimmon butter and well as celery tsukemono (pickles).  Before all was said and done, I whipped up a batch of broccoli soup (featuring onion, broccoli, and mushrooms).  There is nothing better than a nice warm bowl of soup after spending the day outside on ice.

Even on my days to take it easy, I putter around my kitchen and get stuff done.  A sore throat isn't going to hold me back.

Up next, I'm going to go enjoy a yuzu bath to celebrate the solstice.  Since many people think it helps to ward off illness in the upcoming year, I think now is a very good time for me to enjoy this special tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...