Tuesday, October 23, 2018

The real stuff

Honey, the sweet nectar of life, is a beloved treat in Japan.  However only 5 percent of what is consumed here is domestic. 

I was recently introduced to domestic honey from the Japanese honeybee.  Only 10 percent of domestically created honey is made by Japanese honeybees.  Meaning 1/2 of one percent (0.5%) of all honey sold in Japan is made by Japanese honeybees.

These special little bees are a subspecies of the Asian honeybee that is native to Japan.  While most honeybees focus on pollinating one type of flower, Japanese honeybees go from flower to flower pollinating hundreds of different varieties of plants.  The honey is actually collected only once a year, unlike honey from other bees that is collected after each flower is done blooming.


The honey is rich and multidimensional because it matures slowly.  It actually has more medicinal properties than other honeys because it has been aged naturally. 

I picked up a jar at a festival after tasting it.  My husband raised his eyebrows at the price, but after learning a bit about the bees he understood the higher cost.  I loved the flavor.  It was so complex and deep.  I like that in a honey - tons of flavor.

Right now it is sitting in my cupboard waiting to be used.  Once I see fresh yuzu (one of the most popular citrus fruits in Japan) in the stores, I will zest the fruit and let it sit in the honey.  Whenever we get sore throats in the winter, we will drink hot water with a spoonful of the yuzu honey.  It is one of my favorite home remedies.  I think it will be improved with this special honey from some very special bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...