Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Orange beauty

Each fall persimmons abound in the stores and at produce stands.  Fuyu persimmons are the most popular variety of persimmon in Japan.  They are short and squat, almost like a tomato.  They are meant to be eaten while the fruit is still firm, almost pear-like in texture.  (There is also the hachiya persimmon that is meant to be dried into hoshigaki - but they are totally different.)


I was first introduced to fuyu persimmons when I was teaching in Osaka.  I worked in a school near the edge of town where some of the families had small yards, enough for a persimmon tree in their yard.  The families would bring boxes full of persimmons to the school for the teachers.  The school nurse would cut them up and put them on the teacher's desks.  From the first bite, I was hooked.


Simply peel and eat the fruit.  I don't like to eat the peel even though it can be consumed.  Some persimmons have seeds (large brown ones), but not all. 

I love their special orange color and the gentle flavor.  I usually have at least 3 or 4 on my counter at any given time in the fall. 

When I moved back to the US, I couldn't find them.  But slowly, they started appearing in the stores.  I even saw them at Costco in the last couple years.  However, they never had the same amount of flavor as the same fruit at other stores like Uwajimaya,  PCC, and more.  Even though they made it to "Costco status", they are not as common or beloved in the US as in Japan.  But at least those that enjoy persimmons are not left without anymore.

Persimmons are one of the things that I love about Japan.  There is a connection between the first bite of the fruit, and being here that is so strong for me.  Of course, it is filled with all the happy thoughts of being here and fun memories of being adventurous. 

If you haven't had a chance to try this delightful fruit, I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...