Monday, October 9, 2017

An oven, too

If everything came together smoothly, this would not be declared an adventure.  Adventures are full of ups and downs and crazy things happening worthy of retelling.  While getting a home ready to move into isn't necessarily made up of crazy stories, it is full of ups and downs.

We headed over to the new house shortly after eating breakfast at the temporary apartment.  We received a call shortly after 8 that the serviceman would be at the house between noon and 2 to confirm our washer of choice would actually hook up properly.  My husband had noticed a sign the other day that Kumamon (a famous bear mascot representing Kumamoto prefecture) would be making an appearance at the shopping center at 11:30.  Since my son is a big fan of mascots and people dressed up in big furry costumes, we decided I would take my son to see the bear and my husband would meet the service person.

My son and I sat in a crowd of about 100-150 people and watched Kumamon prance around on stage while his theme song played on repeat and an announcer talked about foodstuffs made in Kumamoto prefecture.  While I was not really entertained (after all, it was like watching an infomercial in a foreign language), my son loved watching the big bear dance and wave.  The highlight was when he came down from the stage and my son was able to give him a big hug. 


As we headed back to the house, I received a text saying my husband was all done with the service person and out washing machine was going to fit.  Yay!  A whole lot of worry for nothing.  What a relief. 

The whole family took a walk to the local shrine where we asked the Gods for good luck with the move and transitioning to our new home.  My husband had called the ward office to find out which shrine we belonged to (it depends on your address).  Our local shrine is pretty small, but has some powerful Gods.  In Japanese culture, a person goes to the Shinto shrine for happy events (weddings, moving to a new home, babies...) and the Buddhist temple for sad events (funerals...).  For us, it was important to go to the shrine and create that foundation.


Now that we had the all clear for the washing machine, we headed back to Yodobashi to finally purchase the washing machine.  This store is quite overwhelming - similar to what many experience any time they enter IKEA.  The noises and amount of stuff alone is enough to make me into a zombie.  I wanted to get in and out as quickly as possible.  But as we walked in my husband said "Let's go look at ovens.  I just have a couple questions for them."  Most Japanese homes do not have ovens.  People don't typically bake or roast in their homes.  Broiling is done in a tiny little tray in the stove, and that is usually fish.  I bake a lot in the US.  I bake bread;  make casseroles and lasagnas; and roast veggies all the time.  I've even been know to make some killer dehydrated fruit from time to time.  I was willing to live without an oven for a while.  I didn't have one last time I lived here.  I just borrowed my neighbor's from time to time.  But when I heard about the features of this oven, I started to realize how much I really wanted it.  My husband was in full support (almost encouraging me) as he recalled the crazy stories from baking in the neighbor's oven, plus he just wants me to be happy in our new home.  After looking at several models, we decided that the fanciest models were not for me because the touchscreens required too much reading.  But the model we ended up buying was still the highest tech oven I've ever encountered.  I can't wait to use it and report back on this beauty!

By the time we walked out of the store, I was dizzy with overload.  3 visits to that store and I am done.  I do not want to go back for a very long while.  It may sound dramatic, but it really just puts me into overload.  I can't even imagine going there without my husband to filter so much for me.  He truly is wonderful.

So, now we are set for all the major stuff.  I think.  Our final day in the temporary housing is Thursday.  And on Thursday, the fridge, washer, stove, rice cooker, and oven will all be delivered and installed.  On Saturday, the couch will be delivered (we'll be sleeping on a pad on the floor for 2 nights).  The following week (sometime probably late in the week), our shipment from the US will arrive.  And the dining room furniture will be delivered that weekend.  It is all coming together, piece by piece. 

It is stressful, a bit crazy, and exciting all at the same time.  It is what is defined as an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...