Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Sushi

I was first introduced to sushi as a young girl by my aunt.  My brother and I went to visit her in Southern California and she took us to her favorite sushi restaurant.  I was hooked from my first bite.

Over the years, I've had subpar sushi, cheap sushi, amazing sushi, and stop-everything-melt-in-your-mouth sushi that leaves you practically in a drunk state (and not from the sake).  Most of the subpar sushi has been in the US.  It just isn't as good there and there's a lot of people giving it a haphazard try just to make a quick buck.  Safeway?  Trader Joe's?  Ummm, no.  Stick to groceries, not sushi!  Cheap sushi can be good if you are wanting super simple and not expecting much.  Amazing sushi is usually found in Japan, but there are gems in Seattle, too.  Tsukushinbo in Seattle is amazing.  It helps to take someone who can read Japanese, because some of the best stuff is written on a white board on the wall because they change depending on what is fresh.  The highest level of sushi that I have consumed, the stop-everything-melt-in-your-mouth sushi, has left me weak in the knees.  I've only experienced this twice.  Once in Tokyo right next to the famous Tsukiji fish market.  The second time was in Osaka where some coworkers took me to a special restaurant where you don't order.  You simply get what is given to you.  Each piece of sushi was a piece of art.  If you have ever seen the movie "Jiro Dreams of Sushi", you will understand this level of dedication and unparalleled meal.  I had never and have never since experienced such a "high" from food.

The other night, my family went out for sushi at Kapa Sushi.  I would classify the experience as a fun, but cheap, dinner.  We were going for a special treat for my son and less for the quality of the sushi.  But no matter what, the sushi experience in Japan is simply better due to the wide range of fish available and the quality of fish (even at the cheap places).  There were several options that I had to ask my husband what they were because I didn't recognize the fish.  There aren't a bunch of sauces added - maybe a lemon slice or some grated ginger, but anything added is simple.  You'd never find spicy mayo soaked rolls here!


The restaurant we chose to go to had a special feature, which was the whole purpose for us selecting that restaurant.  There is a conveyor belt that offers various types of sushi to the patrons.  You simply grab what you want from the belt.  Most of the plates cost only ¥108 (less than $1).  The most expensive item was alcohol for ¥486 ($4.30). We had a screen at our table that allowed you to make special orders - something that you may not have seen on the conveyor belt, or a hot item like chawan mushi (steamed savory custard with seafood).  Instead of a waiter bringing the ordered item, it arrives via Shinkansen!  Oh, yes!  By train.  It was so fun and delighted our son to no end.


Although my son ate several pieces of sushi, we also ordered him a kid's set.  We ordered it because it came on a train plate.  Once again, we bought it because it was cute and fun.  At ¥380 ($3.40), how could we not?


We ate and ate and ate.  And we were happy.  And my son has already asked if we can go back again sometime.  Being that it is only a quick 15 minute bike ride from our house, I can guarantee we will!

By the way - the total for dinner was less than ¥2500 ($22).

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...