Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Olé!

One of my favorite things about America, especially the Seattle area, is the cultural diversity.  There is always something new to learn about, people with different opinions and backgrounds, and tons of food to eat!  I truly miss the variety of cuisines.  One of the top cuisines that I miss is Mexican.  My husband took sympathy on me and found a Mexican restaurant in Ikebukro. 

We weren't expecting much from a Japanese version of Mexican food.  Our neighbors in the US were from Mexico and we often had dinner together.  I miss all our dinners together - tucked into our dining rooms or out in our yards, laughing until late at night.  They were just so easy to be around and we always had a lovely time together.  Of course, we all enjoyed growing food and cooking good food, so it made the dinners even better.  When we dined at their house, we always ate our fill of homemade tortillas and amazing fillings.  So, we have high expectations when we eat Mexican food.  And, in our heart of hearts, we know restaurant food will never compare to the wonderful memories of eating with our friends (the food was REALLY good, too).

Since Mexican food isn't really popular in Japan, the options are really limited.  In Osaka, I had a favorite hole in the wall Mexican place that I always questioned why it was there.  The food was SO GOOD!  But I haven't heard of or found a hole in the wall in Tokyo.  I've asked around, but have yet to hear of anything worth the trip.  So when my husband suggested we go to a Mexican place for lunch, I was all in. 

As soon as we arrived, I chuckled to myself.  I said "I think we have these back home!"  El Torito is chain that I really think I have been to at some point in my life.  The décor is totally cliché - cactus, sombreros, and more.  But it was also sort of comfortable.  When you haven't been home in a long time, the weirdest things make you feel at ease.  The southwest patterned carpet made me smile in a familiar way.


Once seated, we perused the menu.  My son declared he wanted pancakes.  Seriously?  Pancakes.  We take him to a pancake restaurant and he orders pasta.  We take him to Mexican, and he orders pancakes.  My goodness.  In his defense, there wasn't a single Mexican item on the kid's menu.  Not a one.  Some people would say that the quesadilla on there is  Mexican, but they would be wrong.  That is totally American.  But my son didn't even want that.  He wanted pancakes. 


My husband and I both decided to get combos to get a variety of items. 


My review of the food is not glowing whatsoever.  I am happy to report that everything was fresh.  It just wasn't the food I was craving. 

Although it was a very nice attempt, I'm going to have to keep looking for a good Mexican restaurant.  Of course, I may just have to break down and make it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...