Monday, May 21, 2018

A helmet rant

Before moving to Japan, my husband and I had a disagreement about helmet usage in Japan.  I was adamant that our son would bring and wear his helmet every time he got on a bike.  My husband disagreed with my stance because he was sure that no one wore helmets in Japan.  I didn't care what other people did.  I wanted my son to be safe while riding his bike.  End of story.

So when we packed, I included my son's helmet.  For me, it is as important as wearing a seatbelt in a car.  Helmets save lives.  My sister went face first over her handlebars as a kid and the accident changed our family biking culture.  My mother marched to a sporting goods store and purchased helmets for each of us.  We were never allowed on a bike without it. 

I've had a number of spills on my bike over the years (mostly as a child, as I rarely rode a bike as an adult), but my noggin was always safe due to being encased in a protective shield.

As soon as we arrived, not only did I notice kids wearing helmets, I repeatedly pointed it out to my husband.  It is a very rare day when I am right and he is wrong about Japanese culture.  Times had changed since we last lived in Japan.  It turns out that a law was passed in 2008 requiring children under age 13 to wear a helmet. 

At first I was very excited to see so many kids wearing helmets.  But then I began to take a closer look.  I saw lots of helmets with very loose straps.  Sometimes the helmets were so loose that the kids would have them hanging off the back of their heads, and others didn't even bother clipping them.  I've seen children wearing helmets with huge cracks in them, too. 


It appears that as long as the child is following the law, the actual safety benefits of the product is for the most part disregarded.  I often want to shout at parents "Don't you realize by misusing the helmet you are giving yourself and your child a false sense of safety!  An improperly used helmet is more dangerous than not wearing one at all!"

When my son started school, they sent home information about bike safety.  They wanted to encourage safe riding practices, like wearing helmets.  I was so thankful for the encouragement.

I don't think people would take kindly to me preaching about bike helmet safety.  But it really freaks me out.  I understand that everyone rides bikes in Japan and they are very good at riding bikes.  But accidents happen and I would hate to see someone needlessly getting hurt.  A properly worn helmet is such an easy way to prevent horrible injuries!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...