Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Taking a dip in the deep end

I read a story on Facebook today about a young student who moved to the US from Korea.  She had studied English while she lived in Korea, but wasn't fluent by any means.  She entered school and was met with a quiz in her science class on the first day.  Her teacher told her she didn't have to take the quiz, but when she looked at the paper she recognized the diagram of a leaf and questions about photosynthesis.  She knew the answers, but didn't have the English language skills to answer the questions in English.  Instead of just sitting there while others took the quiz, she answered all of the questions in Korean.  The teacher took the initiative and had a colleague help her grade the quiz.  The girl received the best grade in the class on the quiz. 

The moral of the story is that this bright girl was supported and encouraged by her teacher.  The teacher didn't let a language barrier let this girl feel stupid or belittled.  She showed her that the knowledge was there, even if she couldn't explain it in English.

I identified with this story so very much.  There are so many times each and every day that I have the answer, I just don't have the language skills to communicate those thoughts.  Sometimes it is a complex thought.  Other times it is just some instructions.

I went to the pool on Monday to swim laps.  The public pool is located in the second floor basement of the community athletic center.  I walked up to the person at the desk and said "I want to go swimming."  She tried to explain that I needed to go up two flights of stairs to the first floor to get a ticket from a vending machine.  I stared blankly at her, in part because I was trying to process what she said and partly because I was confused why I would have to go up to the main floor to get a ticket for swimming on B2.  As I stood there for a moment, she sighed heavily and reached into a drawer.  She pulled out tickets and told me the fee was ¥200.  I rolled my eyes and bought the ticket.  I then went in and went swimming. 

Today I thought I had it all figured out.  I walked into the community athletic center and found the vending machine.  Since the machine didn't have an English option, I used Google Translate to see what the choices were.  I saw where I could buy the ticket for swimming.  There was also a prepaid pass.  Score!  I wouldn't have to stop by this machine every time I was going swimming.  So I purchased the prepaid pass.  I then happily went downstairs to hit the pool. 


I walked up to the turnstile, similar to the one at the train station, and inserted my ticket.  It beeped loudly and rejected the ticket.  I was confused so I tried it again.  The woman at the desk looked down and heaved an even heavier sigh than on Monday.  She took my ticket and indicated for me to follow her.  I followed her up the two flights.  She stuck the prepaid pass into the machine and selected the one time ticket.  The machine spit the two cards out.  The woman handed both of the cards to me and we went silently down the stairs.

I felt like she was exasperated and annoyed by my "stupidity."  I wasn't trying to inconvenience her.  I was just trying to go swimming.  But she was clearly annoyed by me.  And I "let her win."  I felt stupid.  I couldn't have a simple conversation or understand the basic machine.  I will overcome the language barrier as I learn more and more Japanese.  However, I wish I didn't need to overcome the emotional toll of the negative responses.

Oh, and the student?  She has since learned English and became a successful lawyer and writer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...