Friday, January 26, 2018

Delightful dango

Dango is a dessert made with mochiko, a sweet rice flour.  The flour is made into a dough, rolled into balls (usually 3 or 5) and put onto a skewer.  Dango is often covered with mitarashi, a sweet sauce made from soy sauce, sugar, and starch.  Other popular types includes kinako (dusted with toasted soy flour), anko (smothered in red bean paste), and yaki dango (grilled).  It is a very popular treat.

It is soft, chewy, and good both warm or cold.  We tried making it once and it wasn't an epic failure.  It also wasn't really a success.  Good dango is has a very smooth consistency. 

Tonight my husband brought some home for dessert.  There was a pop up shop in the department store on his way home.  He chose two flavors: mitarashi and kinako over mitarashi. 


As I took a bite of the kinako/mitarashi dango, I inhaled the flour.  Coughing ensued and my family laughed at my rookie mistake.  You should never breath in or out near kinako as it will either choke you from the dust hitting the back of your throat or get everywhere. 

Despite the coughing fit, the dango was very delicious and appreciated. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...