Saturday, January 27, 2018

The best scones ever

Just over 5 years ago, my husband and I were visiting Japan.  We were having a nice visit with his parents and seeing friends.  It had been an interesting trip, with visits to visit several places that were important to my husband's family.  At one point we went to a brand new shopping mall.  We enjoyed looking at the beautiful shops, especially the basement floor which was filled with gorgeous displays of food.  One place that I spotted was a scone shop.  I wanted them, my husband pointed to all the other things we had purchased that day.  So, we walked away from the shop without the scones.

That night, I dreamt about those scones.  When I woke up, I was determined to go back and get those scones.  I hopped out of the futon (we always slept in his parent's tatami room) and told him my plan.  He smiled and said "that would be a great plan, except that it is  Tuesday and they are closed on Tuesdays."  My face quickly crumbled and I started crying.  Really, really crying.  My husband wrapped his arms around me in a big hug and closed the sliding paper door between us and his father.  While trying not to laugh, he said "I think we need to buy that pregnancy test now."  I shook my tear streaked head while he added "after we buy you those scones."

That test was positive and they were the best scones I have ever eaten.  And now every time we have scones, my husband and I smile at each other with a shared special memory.

Today, my husband and son went out to go to the electronics store.  When they returned, they surprised me with scones from a shop my son spotted.  He asked Otousan (daddy) if they could please get them.  They bought a variety pack with one of each of the four flavors offered at he shop - plain, tea, maple, and currant.  As soon as I saw them, I exclaimed "these are the famous pregnancy scones!" 


My husband rolled his eyes and commented "sure, sure."  But then decided to look it up.  He quickly found out that I was right!  They are the same scones!  Not only do I love being right, I also love delectable British scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...