Sunday, May 31, 2020

Starting rice from seed - Part 2

After growing our rice for just 20 days, it was time for the next step.  We carefully scooped up the individual sprouts, careful not to damage the roots.  My son was super enthusiastic to help because it meant that he got to get his hands super muddy.


We picked out the tallest and thickest shoots to bundle in groups of five shoots to replant.  I always find it painful to toss aside the little ones, but I had to be strong.  We had no problem picking out 15 beautiful shoots.


Once all three bundles of five shoots were replanted, we covered the soil in a few inches of water.  It is my job to make sure there is always standing water in the container does not reach the top of the soil until the rice is fully grown.  Luckily the rainy season is on its way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...