Sunday, March 22, 2020

A spoonful of sugar

My husband wanted to go on an adventure today.  He's tired of staying at home and wants to explore.  I understand his desire.  When I agreed to go, I thought we were going on a bike ride.  But as we were walking out the door, he grabbed masks and asked our son why he was getting his helmet.  It was then that we were notified he was planning on riding the train.

I immediately felt stressed by this, but followed him, dragging my feet the whole time.  As we walked to the station, my stress increased more and more.  I get that many people in Japan are no longer paying attention to the recommendations to avoid crowds, but it doesn't mean I have to do the same.

As we were about to enter the station, I voiced my concern.  I was really starting to freak out.  I get that the numbers of new Covid-19 infections in Japan are not skyrocketing, but if we relax now, that is exactly what is going to happen!  My mind was spiraling.

Instead of giving me a hard time, my husband just said "Okay.  Then we won't go."  He didn't make a fuss or try to make me feel bad.  He heard my stress and put my needs before his.

Since we weren't getting onto the train, we decided to pick some things up from the store and head back home.  I wanted to make kumquat chicken for dinner with some kumquats a friend had gifted to me.

While in the store, we grabbed the things I needed for dinner as well as stocked up on a couple other pantry items.  My husband needed a new jar of jam as he likes to mix a spoonful of it into the yogurt I make at home.  Right next to the jam is the selection of cereals.  It isn't a huge selection, maybe 1/3 of what is in an average American cereal aisle.  Rice and toast are the preferred carbs at breakfast.  But for those that do like cereal, it is an easily sourced option.

Muesli cereal reigns supreme in Japan's cereal ranks.  There are other forms of cereal, but I would say it is one box of "other" to three or four options of muesli.  A mixture of rolled grains and dried fruit, it is considered to be a healthy option.


While most muesli is pretty basic, sometimes there are some eyebrow raising flavors as well.  I, for one, don't think I will ever be found buying curry-flavored muesli.


If you don't want muesli, there are usually a couple granola options.  However, they don't tend to be as crunchy as American granola and far fewer nuts.

This premium granola has roasted soy beans in it.

Most other cereals I have found here are far from healthy.  They are usually copious quantities of sugar, offering a sugar rush guaranteed to start anyone's day with a jolt, followed by a serious crash an hour or two later.

Corn and wheat flakes are often found on the shelved, usually doused in sugar.

Strawberries and bananas with chocolate cornflakes.
The classic frosted flakes.

Other cereals don't even bother trying to hide that they are more of a dessert and less of a breakfast.  Their labels say it all.


Considering my favorite cereals are plain Cheerios, original Life, and cinnamon Quaker Oat Squares, I don't see myself indulging in the Japanese selection of cereals.  But they're sure fun to look at.

We didn't take any cereal home with us.  The extras we found were pineapple, orange juice, and a black sesame seed spread.

After returning home, my husband and son went out for lunch while I stayed home.  I didn't want to join them, but I also didn't mind them going someplace close to home and practicing safe dining practices (wash hands at restaurant, use sanitizer after touching the menu, only order food that requires cutlery, and wash again after eating).

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...