Saturday, March 21, 2020

No elbow room

We are trying to start each morning with a walk in the park.  Even though today was Saturday, I asked my boys if they were still interested in going.  They were game, so we headed out to get some fresh air.

During our stroll we took a turn out of the park.  My husband wanted to see the early morning selection at the onigiri (rice ball) shop.  He usually goes later in the day and wanted to see if the selection was better in the morning (it was).

When we were done perusing the rice bundles, we decided to wander around the neighborhood instead of heading back to the park.  It was my husband who spotted it first - land that was marked to build houses on.  The sight made me sad.


I understand that land is at a premium here, but I will never understand wanting to live in a house that you could reach out your window and touch your neighbor's house.  Why not just live in a row house?  Or a condo (which is called a mansion in Japanese)?

In the area of (I'd estimate) a half acre, there were 13 houses slotted to be built, plus driveways.  I'm sure that once built, they will be filled with happy families.  But I just can't fathom not having any outdoor space of my own.


Is this because I was born in the US and always had a yard?  My husband grew up in a house with about 2 feet of dirt between the house and a tall cement wall around the perimeter of his house.  He does not understand my obsession.  He does miss our house and yard in the US (especially our chickens), but he does not miss mowing the lawn.

I get that having a yard is not a standard thing in Japan, but I can't help always imagining myself with one.  I'm so grateful for my little courtyard, but it will never fulfill the desire for a space of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...