Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Tenugui

For the past couple of weeks, I spend almost every weekday at the park with my son.  He runs around, rides his bicycle, and plays with friends.  In the meantime, I go to the store while other moms keep an eye on my son, talk with moms, enjoy any sunshine we are gifted, and do small projects that I can take to the park with me.

Recently, I have been busy writing letters and doing small sewing projects.  Today I worked on making lunch bags with tenugui. 


Tenugui is a Japanese handtowel.  It is one item that ALL Japanese people have.  Tenugui is a long piece of lightweight cotton (typically about 35 by 90 centimeters). It is commonly used for a number of things - washcloth, dish towel, headband, souvenir, decoration, or for wrapping items such as bottles.

To make it into the lunch bag, you simply fold the tenugui into thirds.  Sew two layers along one matching edge (say the bottom edge, along the red line). 


Then refold the fabric so the sewn piece is open and the opposite edges are lined up (the top edge/red line in this example).  Sew these two layers together.


That's it!  This bag can be used to carry any number of things.  Many of the moms I hang out with in the park every day have them and use them constantly - for lunches, toys, extra clothing, and more.  You simply slip your items into the bag and tie the two flaps together as tightly (secure) or loosely (to make a handle) as you want.


As I finished my second one today, some of the moms started teasing me that I was "so Japanese" for making these bags.  It just made me laugh.  This is bag is super useful and I can't wait to use it again and again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...