Thursday, November 21, 2019

If you build it

My son and his classmates have been on a mission lately.  They are in the midst of building "Mix Land" - a carnival for the students and kids from the neighborhood.  At 6 years old, they are building rides that move and entertain.  They are creating the whole experience.

It all started with a plan.  The kids, with the help of their teachers, discussed what they wanted to make and how they were going to build each ride.  They drew up plans and now it is time to execute those plans.

Parents were invited to school today to watch their kids working to build the various rides.  There were boxes attached to wooden platforms on wheels that will be used as "jet coasters" and a ghost ride featuring black-light artwork and a carousel that actually goes around and around.  Of course, there is more too!  As a parent, I was blown away to see these kids working together to build an amusement park for their cohorts.


I'm sad to report that this is as far as my son gets to go with this project.  We are going on vacation.  Of all school activities for him to miss out on, I am saddened this is what he will be missing.  The creativity, the collaboration, the execution... so many amazing skills the kids are learning by DOING!  Things like this make me really, really appreciate my son's school.

******************************************
I will be taking a break from writing while I am away.  I'll be back at the computer as soon as I return to Japan.  Until then... Matane (maw-ta-neigh) or See you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...