Monday, November 18, 2019

A helping hand

So much of life cannot be accomplished by a single person.  The saying "it takes a village" can have just about any ending.

When I was in my early 20's, I did not understand this sentiment whatsoever.  I wanted to do everything myself and I really thought I could.  But the older I got, I learned (sometimes the hard way) that working together is so much better.

In the US, I had a whole village of people that were there for each other.  If a childcare issue arose, I had several friends that were happy to help.  If I had a house maintenance emergency, I had a neighbor that could always lend a hand or guide me to the right place to find a professional.  If I experienced an "all systems failure," my parents would come to help me clean up the pieces.  It took me years to figure out who my circle was - how I could support them and how they felt comfortable supporting me.

One thing that I didn't consider before moving to Japan was being without my carefully crafted community.  It is not just the friendships I miss, but the supportive village.  When one needs a helping hand, someone is there to lend it.

Pretty soon after moving here, I met the park moms.  They helped me in so many ways - from helping care for my child to teaching me the ropes of where to go shopping and even helping me through a back injury.  They have been incredible.  I am always grateful for them.

Over time, I have slowly built up a community.  Today a friend came over who takes care of my plants and grabs my mail anytime we go on vacation.  It seems like such a little thing, but I really appreciate her efforts and dedication.  We were chatting when I suddenly realized, through a lot of hard work and many chance meetings, I had created a new village.  I am surrounded by super helpful people that bless my life in so many ways.

Of course, I hope they feel that I am just as helpful and important in their life as I feel they are in mine.  I don't think this challenge is only an issue in Japan.  Any time someone moves, they have to rebuild their circle.  And it takes time.  A whole lot of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...