Sunday, November 17, 2019

Nothing like canned corn

When I was growing up, I loved creamed corn in a can.  It was so sweet!  And it was considered a vegetable!  Not a very nutritious vegetable, but a vegetable nonetheless.

The older I got, the less I ate it.  It is to the point that I think if I did take a bite, I would feel so disappointed because the true taste would not measure up to the memory.  So, I will forgo running down this particular memory lane.

Instead, I decided to try out a different version of creamed corn.  A friend who was visiting Japan told me about a chocolate bar that reminded her of canned creamed corn.  It honestly didn't shock me.  After all, I've blogged about many unusual food finds.  I am less and less shocked everyday.


I sought out a corn flavored Crunky bar and brought it home.  My husband laughed so hard.  He was looking at the package and told me that they recommend putting the chocolate under the broiler with a small amount of soy sauce on it.  They say it will help bring out the corn flavor.

We decided to do it with half of the bar.  My husband laid a bit of foil down so the chocolate wouldn't melt all over out little broiler.  In no time at all, our chocolate was ready.


We let it cool and then dug in.  It was... well... interesting.  It did match with what I expected.  It tasted like creamed corn.  But, also it tasted like something that I didn't want to eat.  Maybe I ate too much of it as a kid.  It's just not a flavor I need in my life anymore.

The "raw" bar wasn't too exciting either.  It might have been a blast from the past, but it's nothing I need to eat again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...