Tuesday, November 19, 2019

A whole lot of bread

Point cards are very popular in Japan.  I have a whole wallet full of them to prove it.  Buy 10 cups of tea, get one free.  Collect points and get money off in the future.  Basically, they are all the same.  I have so many that I can't remember sometimes if I already have a card for that business or not.

Of course, there are some cards that get a lot of usage.  Shortly after moving to Hikarigaoka, my husband discovered a bread topped with onion and cheese, with a small piece of ham inside.  Soon, we were buying this bread and many others at the shop.  Each time I spent three hundred yen, I got a stamp.  Over the past two years, the points have racked up.


Whenever I filled up a card, I got ¥300 off my next purchase.  After cashing in the first card, the sales lady cut the card in half and gave me the stub.  I was told to keep the stubs because I would receive a reward if I turned in 10 stubs.

Although I didn't think we would ever collect 10 stubs, I kept them in my wallet.  It took over 2 years, but eventually I accumulated 10 of them.  Today I "cashed" in the stubs and received ¥3,000 ($27.50 USD).  6 small certificates each worth ¥500.


It seemed like so much.  At home I calculated that we have spent over ¥90,000 ($828 USD) in order to get the reward.  It felt like the moment I calculated how much I was spending at Starbucks back in the day when I used to drink coffee.  As soon as saw that number, I greatly cut back on my coffee habit and then gave it up shortly thereafter.


I have a feeling our family bread habit, including my husband's onion bread, will have a similar fate.  Right after we spend the reward, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...