Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Rice with tea? Seriously?

There are those foods that Japan is famous for.  The ones that everyone can list off quickly from the top of their heads if someone says "what is Japanese food?"  There is sushi, tempura, yakisoba, and yakitori.  But there is so much more than just these famous foods. 

When my husband isn't feeling well, he wants his ultimate comfort food - ochazuke (oh-cha-zoo-ke), or tea rice.  At home, people put rice into a deep bowl.  They'll sprinkle a packet of seasoning on top and then pour either tea or hot water over it (depending on the seasoning packet).  I like to add a pickled plum, called ume, to mine whenever we have it. 

I'm sure some people make their own seasoning for ochazuke.  Of course, just typing that made me want to investigate and try to make my own...  At any rate, most people go for the super simple packets.  We picked some up from Tokyo Disneyland last time we were there.

Just like many other foods that have primarily been home foods, chefs have taken this comfort food to a whole new level at restaurants.  We recently enjoyed ochazuke at a restaurant when we had a crazy busy day and wanted to eat something super simple for dinner. 


I understand why this is my husband's comfort food.  It is easy on the stomach but still tasty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...