Monday, July 30, 2018

Cruising the waterways of Tokyo

Before coming home to a sick kid yesterday, I was on the town.  A few weeks ago the park moms decided we needed a night out.  So, one of the moms organized a dinner cruise down the Sumida River.  I met the moms at the train station to head downtown for our little soiree. 

Our group of 14 moms climbed aboard the boat at 6 pm.  As soon as we boarded, we removed our shoes and entered the main dining room.  The floor was covered in tatami (which you never wear shoes on).  There were 7 horigotatsu tables on each side of the boat.  Horigotatsu are very low tables with a sunken floor under the table.  Technically you are sitting on a cushion on the floor with your legs below ground.


Most of our meal was already sitting waiting for us, so we were able to start dining as the ship left the dock.  We indulged in a variety of fish, vegetables, and other Japanese specialties.  Everything was beautifully prepared.  As we ate, the staff brought a variety of tempura for us to enjoy as well. 


The cruise included drinks, so I indulged in some yummy umeshu (plum wine) and apricot liquor.  There were tons of options, but that was enough for me.

We cruised down the river and stopped twice to gaze at the skyline, near Skytree and Odaiba.  Once the boat stopped we could go up to the top deck and see the view.  It was so beautiful.  The sunset was faint, but so pretty.  And the city lights were quite breathtaking.


One nice bonus was the little peak of fireworks we were able to see.  We had a typhoon on Saturday, so they were rescheduled for Sunday.  Although our boat had to stay it's course, we still saw several go off. 



The cruise lasted almost 3 hours.  It was such a nice little break.  When I got home, I snuck into my son's room to give him a kiss goodnight.  Instead of finding a sleeping beauty, I found an awake hot kiddo.  Soon, my husband and I were dealing with a lot.  Such is the life of parents!  Even on "nights off", our responsibilities are never far away.  (After a rough night, he's back to playing and having a great time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...