Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Please try again another day

I make plans.  I make lots of plans.  Sometimes they work out.  Sometimes not so much. 

This morning I had planned to meet up with another park mom and take our boys to the Nerima Art Museum for an afternoon of fun.  We love spending time together, as do our boys.  We've been looking forward to doing some fun activities together over summer vacation. 

We've been texting to make sure we could still do our activity after my son got sick.  I kept him home yesterday (which was a trial in itself) as his body finished his short bout of some stomach ailment.  By the end of the day he was fever free and full of energy - especially after being cooped up all day.  But this morning I received a text that her son now had a fever!

I wasn't going to let not having our friends join us stop me from going (I'm very hard headed that way).  So, we did a couple extra things around the house and left much later than intended.  It was another hot day.  I made sure to grab some extra water to keep us hydrated.  Then we hoped on my bike and were on our way.  Adventure awaited!

It took about 20 minutes to ride my bike from our house to the museum.  Another park mom had told me the outside of the museum had several statues which created a park in from of the building.  We were greeted by these friendly statues.  They received quite the reception since I hadn't told my son about them.  He found so much joy in running around them, climbing on them, and pretending they were real.  I enjoyed them from afar as I stayed in the shade of the trees around the perimeter of the park.  He ran and ran until sweat was pouring down his cheeks.  Of course, that didn't take very long in the heat.

It took me a while to realize the bodies and
legs are Nerima daikon!  So creative.
This crazy path was so neat.  My son ran up
and down it again and again.

We went to walk up the stairs to the art museum's second story entrance when I noticed it was blocked off.  What?!?  I thought I saw a sign indicating another entrance, so I wasn't deterred.  We walked around the corner to find... a closed sign. 

I am challenged with not being able to do research to verify hours of operation or random closures very easily.  Just another struggle with living abroad.  But I wouldn't let it get me down. 

The first floor of the Nerima Art Museum was the local library.  My son eagerly agreed to go in.  We found the one shelf that had children's books in English and settled in.  After reading a stack of books, we headed home.

Back on the bike, my son told me "I didn't really want to go to the museum today.  I wanted you to read to me.  So I'm happy.  I had a good day."  My little ray of sunshine made me smile once again by looking on the bright side of things.  Not being able to do what I had planned didn't ruin our day.  It just made it different.  And we had a great time regardless.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...