Wednesday, January 30, 2019

In a pickle

It is no secret that I love tsukemono.  There are so many different types of this special fermented food in Japan, and I love about 85% of it.  There is great little shop in Nerima that supplies the area with fantastic pickles made from a variety of vegetables.  It is such a great place to visit.

While riding our bikes around town, we stopped by Okada to fill up our fridge with more pickles.  Okada is known for their daikon pickles but there is so much more available on their shelves. 
Tsukemono is often eaten with rice or as part of a meal.  However, I have been caught just munching it straight out of the fridge.  I am sad anytime I don't have a selection of these delicious pickles in my fridge.


The shop is on a busy street, tucked between a gas station and mixed use building.  There are not any other retail shops on the same block.  It seems strange and out of place, but it works.


After parking our bikes in front of the shop, we walked inside to find 2 large open top coolers and a long set of shelves along one wall.  A woman employee came out and greeted us.  She invited us to taste the many varieties of tsukemono set out in little dishes in one of the coolers.  My son quickly grabbed a toothpick and dug in. We weren't too far behind him.


I love the crunch of the various vegetables.  They had daikon, eggplant, cabbage, turnips, cucumbers, carrots, gobo, and so much more.  Everything had a different brine, to enhance the special flavor of the vegetable.


My absolute favorite tsukemono they make is their celery!  My son and I ate the entire package in one night.  Now I need to go back and buy another package.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...