Sunday, May 27, 2018

A familiar voice

There are times when a certain smell or sound reminds me of America or a trip or something from my childhood.  Most of those flashes are met with a smile along with a bit of surprise.  Suddenly my body is filled with a memory so vivid because of the familiar scent or sound.

While grocery shopping at a store I rarely go to, I had the choice of self checkout (which is very rare here) or cashier checkout.  Usually I prefer cashier checkout, as I think I'm less likely to have an issue getting out of the store.  If something won't scan, will I be able to communicate my needs?  Since I prefer no bag, will I be able to figure out how to tell the machine that I don't want one?  The random thoughts can be plentiful.

But today I was in a mood - not a bad mood, but an independent mood.  I was going to check myself out and everything would be fine.  I took my items up to the self checkout line.  There was a clerk at the front of the line, making sure people would notice the available machines and proceed quickly.  There was a second clerk at the far end of the machines that was helping people when needed.  In a land that still has elevator personnel to make sure you arrive at the correct floor, having 2 clerks covering 8 self checkout machines doesn't seem that excessive.


I walked up to the machine and immediately saw the English button in the lower left hand corner.  I pushed the button and was greeted by the voice.  The same voice that walked me through so many purchases at Safeway in the states!  I paused to smile and fondly remember a certain clerk that always made my shopping experience a friendly one many years ago.  She often worked the self checkout machines, and my husband and I would always chat with her on our way out.  (If she was at a regular line, we'd always go through her line just to have the chance to chat with her for a few minutes.)

She was (and is) such a nice person that it made our day better just by seeing her.  It's funny how a completely out of place voice brings back such feelings and vivid memories. 

I was able to check out seamlessly, as it is the exact same system used at many stores back in the US.  It was nice to hear the familiar and even better to do something without overthinking it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...