Saturday, May 26, 2018

Hydrangeas in full bloom

We went to Toshimaen Park today to see all the hydrangeas in bloom.  They advertised that they were having a festival, but it was more just a promotion of the blooms than a festival.  In one area of the amusement park, there is a hydrangea garden with more varieties of hydrangeas  than I've ever seen.


I have known for a long time that pink hydrangeas were a result of alkaline soil, while blue hydrangeas grow in acidic soil.  However, I learned that white hydrangeas are native to the US.  While riding my bike back from Toshimaen, I couldn't help but smile every time I saw one of these transplants - an import just like me. 


I was really impressed with all the new varieties.  It always impresses me to see how many different types of something there is.  So many people only see what is offered at Home Depot, but there is so much more to plants than their limited offerings.  I wanted to know the names of the variegated flowers and tiny hydrangeas.  They were so beautiful and interesting.  I want to have several of these beautiful flowers in my yard.  Of course, I don't have a yard right now.  But a girl can dream, even if she's in Tokyo!

This was a climbing hydrangea!  It was so unique!

I could have walked around the garden for a very long time.  My boys were not so interested.  They wanted to go ride on the rides.  I'll have to come back again in the next couple of weeks to go through it again.


Maybe next time I will get the "rent a snail" that you can borrow for free to make your photos more interesting!  (I'm not kidding!!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...