Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Playing tour guide

I am so happy when we have friends visiting.  It is so wonderful to have friendly faces that I've known for years.  I am more relaxed with them here because I don't have to be "on" or performing.  I can just be myself in front of them.  I don't need to explain myself and they don't either.  We have already been through all that!

There are certain duties that require extra work and effort when we have guests.  There is a bit more housework and menu planning.  But that is SO worth the extra time and thought!  The one item that can be nerve wracking is playing tour guide.  In the US, we would have guests and I could show them around so easily.  I knew great little hidden gems and fun things to do.  But here, I want our friends trip to be so memorable.  I want to show them unique things and give them a great Japanese experience.  Coming here isn't like driving a couple hours or even flying a short distance to a new city.  This is an experience!  And I want them to go home with a new appreciation of where I live.

My husband and I plan out our visitor's time with us as much as we can.  We want to take everyone to see the major sites and have unique experiences at the same time.  So that means getting around the city a lot.  If my husband is with us (he does go to work, even when we have guests),  I let him lead the way.  But if he is at the office, I am responsible for getting us from point A to point B and it can be quiet stressful.  I have yet to get anyone seriously lost (thank goodness for GPS), but I'm still worried that I'll get us turned around and we'll end up in no man's land.  Of course, this is Tokyo and there really isn't such a thing as no man's land!

Image courtesy of: http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/subwaymap/index.html

No matter what, I often question myself.  Did I give them enough during their trip?  Am I really showing them everything that they want to see?  Was the journey worth it for them?  I know this is all in my head and my friends (and family) are so happy when they come.  But it still weighs on me nonetheless. 

Today I felt a bit under the weather (which was quiet fitting since it POURED this morning).  My friends kept saying "we can stay in!"  But, I just couldn't listen.  They are here for such a short time that I didn't want it spent just hanging out at my house.  Back in Seattle, I probably would have been fine with relaxing and taking a day off.  We visited Asakusa (since it meant being in the elements for a limited amount of time and we could schedule our day around the downpours).  Everyone enjoyed the adventure and, once again, we didn't get lost.

I guess that's all a visitor can really ask when staying with a friend, show them something new/interesting and do it with someone who is a bit familiar with the area.  I do my best.  And luckily, that is all my friends ask of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...