Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Apple pie in the sky

There's something about apple pie that makes most people happy.  To me, it feels like happy memories.  It makes me think of picnics in the US with friends and family and brings a smile to my face.  My husband usually hates it.  He hates cinnamon and therefore does not like the combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar that brings apple pie to life.  My husband is not a picky eater, so I've had to take this distaste with a grain of salt over the years.  If I want some cinnamon-y goodness, he isn't going to share it with me.  Sometimes that's a good thing, other times it is a pain (only when I really want to share something and it won't be good later).

As a matter of fact, cinnamon is a flavor that isn't very popular in Japan and can be hard to find.  The one exception that I've found is yatsuhashi (a Kyoto specialty). 

I've seen several pie shops that have popped up in the area, like Pie Holic, many of them offering apple pie.  I'm sure the target audience is geared toward foreigners, but this item has hit fad status in these parts.  I've tried the one at Pie Holic and was not super impressed.  It was fine, but their other pies (specifically their strawberry pie) are much better.

In Ikebukuro, right next to the train station, there is a little shop called Ringo.  It is like many of my favorite Japanese shops, as it only sells one thing.  Ringo makes custard cream apple pies. 


In true Tokyo style, there is always a line out the door.  The shop consists of a huge table filled with the pies and a cash register.  There is a small area to stand and tell the cashier how many pies you would like to purchase.  There are no tables and no seats.  It is a take-out only establishment. 


These handpies are made with puff pastry, apples, and custard.  There isn't any cinnamon in them, but it really doesn't need it.  The crust is so flaky and the filling is well balanced.  They are a handful of happiness. 


Unfortunately, there is a limit of 4 pies per person.  This can be a bad thing when your family of 3 is hosting 2 or more friends.  Luckily, I was showing my friends around the neighborhood so we could break up the purchase and be able to buy enough for our group!

After a long day of shopping, going to Sunshine Aquarium, and walking long distances, we were so happy to enjoy a little bit of American joy.  Also, I really needed a food win after yesterday's pancake debacle.  We hauled our treasures home and the little pastries did not disappoint.  Even my husband enjoyed the apple pie, probably due to the lack of cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...