Friday, July 16, 2021

A stitch in time

After writing about feeling stressed, I got a message from my mom. She suggested that I do a sewing project to occupy myself. I considered her advice and settled on doing a traditional Japanese hand-sewing project, called sashiko.

Sashiko, a traditional Japanese embroidery style, dates back to the Edo period. It was originally used to make stronger workwear, weaving several layers of cloth together, but has evolved into decorative stitching used on clothes, quilts, and crafts. The most popular patterns are fish scales, diamonds, mountains, bamboo, persimmon leaves, arrows, pampas grass, shippo-tsunagi (geometric design that encompasses four eclipsis and a single circle) and interlocking geometric shapes.

I was surprised to learn that there typically aren't knots in sashiko. When starting a new thread, you sew a few stitches backwards and then go in the opposite direction. It is amazing how well it holds without tying off the threads.

I bought several sashiko kits at a fabric store to make handkerchiefs. Most Japanese people carry handkerchiefs since paper towels are rarely offered in public restrooms. So, these would be handy to have.

I quickly got busy stitching away.

Left: goldfish
Right: fundo
Left: dragonflies
Right: rabbits
shippo-tsunagi or seven treasures

It was a nice distraction from the chaos of Covid. I'd turn on an audiobook and stitch away, losing myself in the rhythm of moving the needle.

It was the perfect suggestion.

2 comments:

  1. These are so lovely, and seem like such a nice thing to carry with you! How big are they? How many layers of fabric do you stitch together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! These are two layers thick, but could easily be one depending on the fabric chosen. The handkerchiefs are about 30 cm square.

      Delete

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...