Saturday, February 10, 2018

Burger heaven

While doing errands this morning, we needed to find a place to eat lunch.  We could only see chain restaurants and fast food in the area we were in, so we decided to bike back home in the hopes of spotting a good place. 

As we rode down the street, passing houses and a variety of businesses, I spotted a burger shop across the street.  I half-heartedly said to my husband "we could have lunch over there."  I really thought he would roll his eyes and suggest we just keep going.  But the restaurant looked pretty cute and the menu posted out front of the restaurant was intriguing.  We decided we would have lunch at The Giant Step, a craft burger joint.

We entered the American-style restaurant and sat at a small table.  I actually felt like I was in the US.  From the décor to the country music playing in the background, it was one of the most authentic American restaurants I've been to in Japan.  Usually the atmosphere feels like the proprietor watched one too many American movies.  But this place felt like the research was actually done in the states. 


The Japanese spin came with the burger "styles."  New York style meant the burger was served as the menu described.  Original style added broccoli to the burger.  Yes, I said broccoli.  Classic style really was classic with lettuce, tomato, and pickle. 


As we were very hungry, we quickly ordered a cheese burger for my son, a teriyaki burger for my husband, and a mushroom burger for myself.  I tried to ask for extra pickles, but like most restaurants in Japan, substitutions are not allowed.  No extra pickles for me.  Since the burger doesn't come with sides, we also ordered some onion rings (which are not very common here) and a salad.

Cheeseburger - Original style
Teriyaki burger - Original style
Mushroom burger - Classic style (with only 2 pickle slices)

As the food began to arrive, we were so excited.  One bite and we were so happy.  Everything was delicious and satisfying.  And the broccoli in a burger was actually really good!  My son, who has always loved to eat 'little trees' was super excited for the added treat.  It truly was a hidden gem! 

I used to laugh when I would see foreigners in McDonalds or other fast food joints, including burger restaurants.  I would think to myself "why are you trying to have a taste of America when you should be fully experiencing Japan" (or whatever country).  But in the past few years, I've learned a lot.  Like a breath of fresh air, a little taste of home can allow a person to better immerse themselves in the culture.  Sometimes you need a break from all the newness!  While I wasn't really looking for a break today, it was nice to fill my mouth with familiar flavors while listening to some familiar music (even though I don't listen to country music, I still recognize a lot of the songs).  Finding a place of refuge can be tough.  So, when you spot a potential place, it is important to check it out.

I can already tell you that we will be back to The Giant Step.  Probably the next time I need a little escape!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...