Friday, January 5, 2018

Driver's beware

Getting a driver's license in Japan is pretty difficult.  It takes a lot of time, money, and effort in order to get that little card.  You are required to go to a special driver's school that takes at least 60 hours to complete.  Even after graduating from the class a written exam is required.  All in all, it costs about $3,000 USD. 

Having a driver's license here is not a requirement.  After all, it is easy to get around using mass transit and bicycles.  However, when someone hands you a loophole, you take it.  There are a couple states that allow an individual to convert their US license to a Japanese driver's license.  Since it was "so easy," I decided to go ahead and get a Japanese license.


A couple of weeks ago, my son and I took a little trip to a special office that translates licenses, a required document for converting a license.  It took a while, but basically consisted of dropping off paperwork, waiting for a couple hours (we decided to leave and wander around versus sit in the office), and picking up the document.  It was really easy, just took some time and effort.

So, yesterday, we headed to the DLC (Driver's License Center) to obtain my license.  We tried to get out of the house early, but it just didn't work that way and we didn't leave until about 8:30 am.  It would seem like it wasn't too late, but it takes almost an hour and a half to get there on the train.


Shortly before 10 am, we walked in and waited in our first line.  With my husband acting as my translator, we submitted all of my paperwork: my Washington state driver's license, the translation of my license, my passport, forms, a photo from a photo booth, and a document from City Hall verifying my address.  The man behind the counter told us it would be a 1 to 2 hour wait.  He then indicated that we could take our son to their baby room, if we so desired.  My husband decided to wait right there, while I took our son to the baby room.  It was a fairly decent sized room, with a couple books in a cubby, two cribs, and a diaper changing area.  That was it! 


After waiting for an hour, they called my name and gave me some forms to continue on my way.  I paid the required fee and then took an eyesight test.  We then returned to the original window to turn in the updated form.  They told us to wait again.  It took about 45 minutes for them to call me up to the window.  I had been approved. 

It was time to take my photo.  I was a little irritated because I had to bring a photo from a photo booth that I was actually pleased with.  So, I got in line and prepped my staticy hair (the air is so dry right now!).  My husband emphasized that I couldn't show my teeth in the photo.  However, I did smile, which was a mistake.  The guy looked at my photo and denied it!  I guess I looked too happy.  He specifically told me that I couldn't smile and retook the picture. 

The Tokyo Police mascot: Pipo

It was time to go pick up my license.  We went up to the forth floor and we shocked by the number of people waiting up there!  They said it would be another 1 to 2 hours to get my card!  We threw up our hands and headed out for lunch. 

When we got back an hour later, my number was up on the board indicating I could get into line to pick up my card.  Once I waited in the final line, I was given my card.  I was good to go!  I can drive in Japan!  But, oh, wait!  I really don't want to drive here!  The roads are narrow and they drive on the wrong side!!!  And don't get me started on the signs!  Oh, goodness, no.  This card won't ever be used.  But at least I have one more card sitting in my wallet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...