Friday, January 29, 2021

The white stuff

I have barely left the house since the start of the new year. I had a couple dentist appointments, forcing me to take the train into Azabujuban. These excursions left me feeling stressed about exposure to viruses, resulting in a self-imposed quarantine. Besides going to the dentist, grocery store, and taking my son to ballet, I have kept the couch company. This has afforded me to read seven books and work on a quilt.

While I know it has been the responsible thing to do, I’ve felt lonely and missed my friends as well as the “outside world”. But it was important for me to complete 2 weeks of isolation following my last appointment. Today was the day ending the confinement.

Since the beginning of the year, I’ve created a new habit of curling up on the couch, wrapped in a warm blanket, to read for a while after sending my son off to school. I start the day by escaping to Seattle, Scotland, North Carolina, or Paris through the pages of the books I dive into. This morning, my husband yanked me out of the streets of historic Paris by letting me know that my bike battery was ready to be picked up from the bike shop. I acknowledged his message, but decided that I would go in the afternoon to get it since I was in a really good part of my book and I quickly stuck my nose right back into the story.

I had special ordered a new bike battery because mine was not holding a charge for very long anymore. Since we tend to go on long adventures, I need a battery that can keep up with my demands. When I put in the order, the owner told me a few tricks to make the battery last longer - let the battery warm up to room temperature for an hour before putting it on the charger and bring it inside every night, as huge variants of temperature make it die faster.

When I had decided to go to the bike shop in the afternoon, I didn’t realize it was going to be raining. Riding a bike in the rain is not my idea of fun. It feels extra cold as the large drops smack you in the face, often obscuring your vision. Plus, no matter how much rain gear you are wearing, you always feel wet when you arrive at your destination. Regardless of my hesitation, I had committed to the bike shop owner I would go, so I did.

The owner was pleased to see me. He had the battery ready for me, so the visit was pretty quick. It is always nice when I can get in and out of a shop in a timely manner. While it was a really quick transaction, I left with much lighter pockets though, as the battery cost ¥41,000 (or $393 USD). I guess that is what I pay for transportation maintenance/repairs in Japan. I guess compared to a car, it is a bargain! But the sticker shock is still there.


As I rode home, the rain pelted me. I was getting a bit grumpy with my bad timing. I was cold and wet and just wanted to be back on that couch reading another chapter.

Once through the door, I peeled off my coat and wet layers. I found a new set of clothes and hung the dripping wet poncho that I wear bike riding in the bathroom to avoid a mess. Then I went to the living room and stopped. Just outside our sliding glass door, I saw huge snowflakes falling out of the sky!


They were so pretty to see. My grumpiness dissipated as I called out to my husband to look outside. Like two big kids we cheered and exclaimed over the cold white crystals dancing toward the ground.

It continued to snow for hours. My son walked home from school in it. When he arrived, he shouted at us, worried we would miss it. Then he dashed back outside to join in the dance. The flakes were huge, allowing him to catch many on his tongue and laugh as they hit his eyes and nose.


While I know the snow won’t be there in the morning, it was fun to see and feel the magic of it. We didn't mind one bit walking to my son's ballet class through the accumulated snow. It felt nice to enjoy the pretty scene.


It served as a reminder to me today that there’s always something to look forward to, even surprises. If we are patient, the delights of life will reveal itself to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...