Friday, January 8, 2021

A different kind of tea

I can't believe winter break is almost over. It is a special time for our family. School is closed, but also my husband has time off of work. I am always so happy to have copious quantities of time with my boys. We have had fun over the past two weeks. Our son had about 20 minutes of homework to complete each day and several ballet classes to attend, but otherwise we were able to spend time together.

While we were all sad to not go to the Kansai region to visit some of our favorite places in Osaka, Nara, and Kyoto, we were still happy to have some time together. We spent a lot of time at home - watching movies, playing games, and our son even sewed his first bag and started his first cross stitch. We also got out a bit as well. We visited Tanashi Jinja (dragon shrine), among others, as part of our New Year celebrations.

Just as the break is coming to an end, we have news that Tokyo and a few other prefectures will be reentering a state of emergency due to the number of severe Covid cases. This will be much more relaxed than the state of emergency from earlier in the pandemic. For example, schools will not be closing this time. It has everyone, including us, reassessing their precautions and comfort levels.

It leaves me feeling sad and disappointed, inflaming the longing in my heart to be with friends and family that I haven’t seen in over a year.

I'm also feeling gratitude toward my husband for the mental break he provided earlier this week. On Monday evening, while watching TV, he looked at me and said “do you want to go to tea tomorrow in Ikebukuro? I can make a reservation for 2 pm.” I gave him a confused look and questioned what he meant, needing more information. After all, tea is everywhere in Japan. Why would we bike an hour each direction just for tea? He then clarified it was high tea, as in British high tea. Well... THAT I would bike over an hour for!

Tucked beneath the streets of Ikebukuro, just a short distance from my favorite bookstore, is Racines Bistro. This little hidden gem is a bakery and bistro serves a Japanese version of British high tea. It is one of those things that you just have to know about, as it isn’t even on the menu (it is on their website, though). It is served at 2 pm and reservations are required.


We arrived right on time and were seated in the corner of the modern style dining room. Since it is a set menu, there isn’t any ordering required. Just sit back and wait for everything to arrive.


Instead of perusing a large list of teas and choosing one, we were told we would be enjoying a flight of teas - seven in total. Without meaning to, I let out a little laugh and said “this might be an interesting bike ride home after seven cups of tea!”

When they brought out our three tiers of scrumptious treats, my eyes lit up with excitement. Everything had fresh strawberries on it! January is peak strawberry season in Japan (they are grown in greenhouses) and the bistro offers a special seasonal tea featuring the bright red berries.


Realizing there were seven treats for each of us, we decided to pace ourselves over the next hour and a half, eating just one treat with each cup of tea that found its way into our cups. It was hard to not just dive in, but we all exhibited great self control.


As we relaxed and chatted, we enjoyed scones with honey, butter, and strawberry jam with earl grey tea. Time just stood still as we escaped into little courses of a savory bun with clotted cream and a strawberry along with white peach tea; financier cake with apple tea; croissant hearts and rose tea; cream puffs with chestnut tea; strawberry mousse paired with royal milk tea; and sandwich cookies with strawberry tea.


After we were done with everything, the waitress came and asked if we wanted another cup of tea - any of our choosing. My husband asked for another cup of the apple tea, while I had chestnut and our son requested strawberry. I couldn’t believe our son had not just made it through all the “courses,” but wanted more! He was only drinking half cups, but still...

At some point during our lovely tea experience, I said to my husband “it feels like it is my birthday!” It felt like that much of an escape from all the insanity in the world today. With the new State of Emergency being declared, we will be sticking even closer to home, so I am extra glad we were able to have the refreshment break.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...